I am a HUGE Mary Kubica fan and whenever she has a new release I am thrilled, no pun intended. Her addictive and twisty thrillers are a must for every bibliophile. Her latest, When the Lights Go Out, is nothing short of nail biting, page turning suspense- the perfect cure to the end of summer blues. This book is exactly what you need on a cozy fall evening but be prepared to lose some sleep 😉 Mary was kind enough to chat all things in my latest Open Book ❤
via Amazon ~
“A twisty, captivating, edge-of-your-seat read.” —Megan Miranda, bestselling author of All the Missing Girls
“Creepy and oh so clever!” —Alice Feeney, bestselling author of Sometimes I Lie
A woman is forced to question her own identity in this riveting and emotionally charged thriller by the blockbuster bestselling author of The Good Girl, Mary Kubica
Jessie Sloane is on the path to rebuilding her life after years of caring for her ailing mother. She rents a new apartment and applies for college. But when the college informs her that her social security number has raised a red flag, Jessie discovers a shocking detail that causes her to doubt everything she’s ever known.
Finding herself suddenly at the center of a bizarre mystery, Jessie tumbles down a rabbit hole, which is only exacerbated by grief and a relentless lack of sleep. As days pass and the insomnia worsens, it plays with Jessie’s mind. Her judgment is blurred, her thoughts are hampered by fatigue. Jessie begins to see things until she can no longer tell the difference between what’s real and what she’s only imagined.
Meanwhile, twenty years earlier and two hundred and fifty miles away, another woman’s split-second decision may hold the key to Jessie’s secret past. Has Jessie’s whole life been a lie or have her delusions gotten the best of her?
1. What three celebrities/authors/figures- living or dead, would you want to have a bookclub with?
Natalie Babbitt, Stephen King, Maggie O’Farrell
2. Current binge series?
BIG LITTLE LIES (Amazing!)
3. Last favorite book?
SOMETHING IN THE WATER by Catherine Steadman
4. What 3 things to you pack in your bag for your dream vacation? Where is it?
Gym shoes, sunglasses, camera – hiking in Acadia National Park
5. Sunday NYT or US Weekly?
6. Last person you sent a text message to?
7. Book you read that you wished you wrote?
BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP by SJ Watson
8. Do you have a teacher who encouraged you to become a writer?
Not one teacher per se, but many teachers who helped ignite that passion for reading and writing that later turned me into a writer
9. Do you listen to music while you write? If so, who?
Nope, I need things quiet
10. Describe your writing space?
My office is clean and fairly sparse, with gray walls, a desk of my grandmothers that I renovated, bookshelves and a comfy armchair
11. Coffee or tea?
12. Do you have a favorite book that you gift?
THE THINGS THEY CARRIED by Tim O’Brien
13. Book that you wished they would make a movie out of?
THE CHILD FINDER by Rene Denfeld
14. If you could have one song as the theme song of your life what would it be and why?
Life in the Fast Lane (I rarely have time to sit still and do nothing!)
15. What/Who inspires you?
16. Bravo reality TV- yes or no?
17. Favorite Instagram account?
18. If you could name just one lipstick after a book, what would you call it and what shade would it be?
GIRLS’ NIGHT OUT (Liz Fenton & Lisa Steinke), and it would be red
19. Current #TBR pile?
FORGET YOU KNOW ME by Jessica Strawser, HER SECRET SON by Hannah Mary McKinnon and THE FAVORITE DAUGHTER by Kaira Rouda
20. Best advice you’ve ever received?
Live in the moment