It’s pretty clear that Emily Liebert has locked her place in my bookish heart as a favorite author. Book after book I am so impressed with her writing and after reading Some Women it just solidified her ability to take me into a world where the characters are relatable and the stories are so real. I love this about her and its something that not every author can do. Sure an author can create a world where we can escape to but Liebert takes you to coffee with your friends or drinks with your spouse. Its stories we look forward to in our lives, characters that give us character which in turn makes us think and grow. As you read her novels, you see that her characters are people we all know and love; when they struggle we struggle and when they triumph we feel their joy. Some Women was a celebration of friendship and female force. Even though I do not know her personally, but I can pretend we are besties 😉 , I like to think Liebert is a force as well and a girls girl who like the characters in this book will be there for her friends in a pinch!
Some Women centers around Annabelle, Piper and Mackenzie. All at different points in their life but yet dealing with the daily struggles being a wife, working mom, daughter, etc. Brought together by their daily barre classes they start to build a friendship over quick conversation and coffee, post class. Annabelle is a mom of twins whose husband is always hounding her to relax as at times she can be a little uptight. Not knowing that this is something that has bothered him for a while, she is shocked when he decides they need a break and leaves. Piper is the mom of a wonderful daughter, Fern, who is in a new relationship with Todd, the perfect guy for her. Fern resisting to accept that Todd is here to stay, starts to wonder where her real father is. Right when Todd and Piper are ready to take the next step, Piper’s ex shows up making her question everything. And then there is Mackenzie who is trying so desperately to have a baby and create a family with her husband. She s having difficulty and it doesn’t help that her overbearing mother-in-law is trying to control the situation. Little does Mackenzie know that her “perfect” husband is capable of a few secrets himself.
Again Liebert blew me out of the water with her realistic plot and relatable issues. She is what I like to call the “girls best friend author”. The author who we love to read and who we like to think is our bestie. This is an honor I only give out to a few favorite writers. If you have yet to read her back catalog then you are missing out! All are so different but so delicious and Some Women fits right into that category. I was so excited when I had the opportunity to ask Emily a few questions about the novel as well as about her! See below. Bonus : Gerard Cosmetics has created a special limited edition lip gloss trio based off the ladies in the book which will be launched the day the novel comes out. Hello this is a Bliss, Beauty and Books match made in heaven!
Bliss Talk with Emily Liebert
1. This novel is based around friends from a barre studio and I know you teach at Pure Barre. Did you base these women on friends/students you have met during your time there? I love teaching Pure Barre in my “spare time.” It’s something I do because I’m passionate about it and because it clears my mind. And, I do have a few close friends there. That said Annabel, Mackenzie, and Piper are not based on those specific women, nor are they based wholly on anyone. With my characters, I tend to amalgamate personality traits from a number of different people—friends, acquaintances, family, and sometimes my own!
2. Out of all three ladies- Annabel, Piper and Mackenzie- who do you identify with most, maybe not experience wise, but personality? I’d say I’m a combination of Annabel and Mackenzie. Like Annabel, I’m a control freak, and—I hope—the best mother that I can be. And like Mackenzie, I’m very energetic and determined—plus we both love to cook and eat!
3. This took on some serious issues that a lot of women face- infidelity, divorce, miscarriage, etc. Do you think it was one of your more difficult novels to write because of this? Unfortunately, I’ve reached a stage in my life where many of my friends are going through one or more of these things. For that reason, I understood the circumstances surrounding each. The difficulty resided in the fact that—since I’ve never experienced any of these things first hand—I wanted to do right by the stories I’ve been told. And pay respect to the people who shared them with me.
4. The bond of friendship was really the main character in the novel, I think. How would you describe your best girlfriends? What is one of your favorite memories with them? My best girlfriends are all smart, creative, strong women. And inspiring moms—I learn from them every day. My favorite memories with my friends are when we’re doing nothing more than sitting around, talking about our lives, eating delicious food, and drinking great wine.
5. As a writer, where is your favorite place to write? My office in my home. It’s the only place I write.
6. Name 3 blissful things that you can’t live without? I’m going to assume you don’t mean people! In no particular order: Traveling, Watching reality TV, and Cold Sesame Noodles. Actually, probably in that order!
7. What is the first thing you do when you complete a book? Feel complete and utter relief.
8. What was the last book that you read? How to Start a Fire by Lisa Lutz
9. While on tour what is a must-have beauty product in your make-up bag? Maybelline Great Lash mascara in Blackest Black
10. Are you looking forward to any books that are coming out in 2016? So many! Falling by Jane Green. The Singles Game by Lauren Weisberger. Here’s to Us by Elin Hilderbrand. First Comes Love by Emily Giffin. I could go on…
*Thanks to Berkley NAL for sending a review copy.
Press Release for the partnership of Emily and Gerard Cosmetics:
Gerard Cosmetics Partners with Bestselling Author Emily Liebert
THE SOME WOMEN COLLECTION
BY GERARD COSMETICS
Exclusive Set of Lip Glosses Named After the Book and Characters
New York, NY (February 9, 2016)—Every woman loves to feel beautiful inside and out. The leading ladies of bestselling author Emily Liebert’s forthcoming novel, Some Women, are no exception, and are the inspiration for a gorgeous and exclusive new line of lip glosses created by Gerard Cosmetics.
The Some Women Collection by Gerard Cosmetics features three stunning colors, named for the book’s three main characters, and each color represents something about the character’s personality:
Mackenzie—Wild Orchid: daring, driven, with a bit of an edge.
Piper—Salmon: understated, delicate, and independent.
Annabel—Candy Apple: confident, classic, and composed.
Gerard Cosmetics is a line created for women by women who empower each other. Emily Liebert’s Some Women is a witty and compelling novel about self-discovery and the redemptive power of female friendship as three very different women form an unexpected—and unbreakable—bond.
The Some Women Collection by Gerard Cosmetics and Emily Liebert’s novel Some Women will launch on the same day: April 5, 2016 (the book’s official publication date) and the collection will be available for purchase at www.gerardcosmetics.com. Gerard Cosmetics will donate a portion of the proceeds from the sales of the lip gloss bundle to the Domestic Violence Center of Santa Clara Valley, whose mission it is to provide safety and support to victims of domestic violence while working to break the cycle of abuse.
“I’m very excited to be partnered with Gerard Cosmetics on an exclusive bundle of lip glosses to commemorate the launch of my new novel SOME WOMEN,” says Emily Liebert. “Gerard Cosmetics celebrates strong women whose beauty radiates from within, and so do I. With my previous books, I’ve seen tremendous success through collaborating with brands that are synergistic with my own brand and the characters that I create. I look forward to sharing Mackenzie, Piper, and Annabel’s signature colors with my readers!”
Learn more about Emily Liebert and Some Women: www.emilyliebert.com.
Learn more about Gerard Cosmetics: www.gerardcosmetics.com.
Learn more about the Domestic Violence Center of Santa Clara Valley: http://dvc-scv.com/index.php/mission-and-vision/